[NZLUG] Managing multiple-machine application configs with DVCS

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Sat Jun 8 23:56:26 NZST 2013

On Jun 7, 2013 12:22 PM, "Reed Wade" <reedwade at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim, I'd be curious why you don't like puppet for this. It's pretty good
at making exactly this sort of thing very simple.

That could take a while to explain :-) Mostly it is due to the overhead of
setting up config management into an existing environment.

> --Unless it's the wanting to be able to make changes on the individual
machines and push those changes back. I'd claim that's not even a feature
I'd want.

Fine, but I work in a world where there are often multiple people with
administration rights, but they don't come from a single place and it isn't
easy to make them follow the same procedures. Sometimes that includes
vendor engineers. I'm all for enabling work to be done first, and then
tracking the changes and managing them later.

tl;dr etckeeper rocks and perhaps I should be trying to use that!

-jim