[NZLUG] Managing multiple-machine application configs with DVCS

Tom Skunca tomislav.skunca at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 15:40:58 NZST 2013

On Friday 07 June 2013 12:22:36 Reed Wade wrote:
> Jim, I'd be curious why you don't like puppet for this. It's pretty good at
> making exactly this sort of thing very simple.
>
> --Unless it's the wanting to be able to make changes on the individual
> machines and push those changes back. I'd claim that's not even a feature
> I'd want.

Sometimes you only have ssh access to a machine (no Puppet & no yum/dpkg
access). Git then gives you a good enough way to centralize your configuration.
It's also much more lightweight than Puppet.

> Also, separate branches in git is likely to cause more trouble as you'll
> get drift in the areas you want to stay the same across all hosts. Keeping
> one puppet config set in git is nice tho.
>
> -reed

And that is why you do merges back into master - to keep the rest of your
configuration in sync with the master branch. What the OP wanted was a way to
do merges back to master but not to merge a few chosen files. A pretty elegant
solution if you ask me.