[NZLUG] Managing multiple-machine application configs with DVCS

Félix Saparelli me at passcod.name
Thu Jun 6 18:43:31 NZST 2013

On 6 June 2013 17:34, Jim Cheetham <jim at gonzul.net> wrote:

> I would like these files to be tracked somehow, and I'd like to be able to
> propagate changes to the non-unique portions of them -- i.e. for an
> httpd.conf file, I might want to change the line 'allow from 10.11.12' in
> all of them, but not change 'ServerName specificserver.tld'.
>
> So it is the merge situation that is the problem, and I'm getting to
> appreciate that git isn't expecting to handle that sort of per-file
> metadata; so I have to build that knowledge in to a separate process.
>
> The standard git VCS can't do that, but there's no reason the underlying
git blob "filesystem" shouldn't. I'm not saying that's an easy way, though:
you'd essentially have to create your own frontend on top of that, but I
can see a line- or block- based (instead of file-based) VCS interface
working... and the git backend does the heavy lifting for you.

That might be a harder solution than what you're after, though ;)