[NZLUG] Managing multiple-machine application configs with DVCS

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Thu Jun 6 17:34:54 NZST 2013

On Jun 6, 2013 4:04 PM, "Tom Skunca" <tomislav.skunca at gmail.com> wrote:
> For that you can do this -> http://is.gd/Rs5SR1 (stackoverflow) and
exclude
> selected files in your branch from merging. That way you can still push
changes
> to the repo without getting into conflicts.

That seems pretty close to just using .gitignore and not tracking the file
in the first place ... unless I'm misunderstanding the example.

I would like these files to be tracked somehow, and I'd like to be able to
propagate changes to the non-unique portions of them -- i.e. for an
httpd.conf file, I might want to change the line 'allow from 10.11.12' in
all of them, but not change 'ServerName specificserver.tld'.

So it is the merge situation that is the problem, and I'm getting to
appreciate that git isn't expecting to handle that sort of per-file
metadata; so I have to build that knowledge in to a separate process.

-jim