[NZLUG] Anything strange going on out there???

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Thu Jun 6 14:45:03 NZST 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 14:17 +1200, Daniel Lawson wrote:

> > I've got a dozen or more OpenVPN connections to various machines
> > worldwide, using the remote end as the server, and myself as client.
> > some of these have been running for years.
> >
> > Suddenly only 2 can connect. The rest are timing out.
> >
> > Any ideas why?
>
> UDP conntracking on your router might be overflowing. I've seen similar issues with TCP (e.g., ssh) on a router where a user had lots of p2p apps running.  (UDP is stateless, but there may still be a conntrack entry for your NAT device

Interesting, my ancient D-Link consumer grade router* was disconnected
by Voda last night, necessitating a power recycle this morning to
reconnect. Maybe that screwed stuff up? It's so weird that resetting the
forwarding on the remote end ( 1194/URP -> 1194/UDP+TCP ) got everything
working again, on UDP. Could I have been sending nasty packets do you
think?

Cheers,

Steve
* It's outlasted 3 replacements so far.