[NZLUG] Mint freezes

David McNab david at conscious.co.nz
Wed Jun 5 13:18:32 NZST 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Don Johnston <admin at ncearevision.co.nz>wrote:

>  The next thing I will try will probably be 32 bit Mint with Mate because
> I am accustomed to Mate and I can live without 64 bits for the next 6
> months.
>
> Which model EeePC are you using? I have never had any problems with Mint
> on EeePCs (models 701, 901 and 1000H).

I'm using a 1015BX. All versions of Linux Mint worked mostly fine, except
that none of them could drive the inbuilt bluetooth properly (but could
drive an external dongle). When streaming audio to my bluetooth headphones
through the internal bluetooth radio, there was unbearable stuttering and
dropouts.

Debian couldn't drive any audio at all. The only Linux distro that could
drive *all* the hardware was Ubuntu 12 and 13. Not even Lubuntu could do it.

Meanwhile, with my desktop (an old HP slimline), Ubuntu with Unity wouldn't
even load off the live CD. Nor would Lubuntu. And nor would Linux Mint
Cinnamon. And the Debians couldn't drive the Bluetooth dongle. So the only
distro which could work with my desktop hardware was Linux Mint 15 Mate.

Goes to show that distro loyalty is a mug's game. :P