[NZLUG] Mint freezes

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 12:47:59 NZST 2013

On 5 June 2013 11:10, David McNab <david at conscious.co.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz>wrote:
>
>> * Fix the kernel.
>> * Wait for someone else to fix the kernel.
>> * Don't use beta-quality distro versions.
>> * Don't buy bleeding edge hardware without Linux support and for which
>> a stable Linux driver is not yet available.
>>

> Another solution - try other Mint flavours, or the various flavours of
> Ubuntu, or some 32-bit versions...
>
> I was doing some fresh distro-shopping recently, and found that the only
> distro which worked 100% with all my Asus EeePC netbook hardware was
> standard Ubuntu 13 with Unity, while the only distro which fully worked on
> my desktop was Linux Mint 15 Mate (not Cinnamon).
>
> If I chose a different distro with either of these two systems, I would be
> looking at potentially weeks of squinting through manpages, googling
> through web forums, begging for help on IRC, hacking source code, reading
> chip data sheets,...
>
> Just because one is a developer it doesn't mean that one shouldn't be able
> to sit back at times and drive like any other user, without having to take
> the engine to pieces.

I'm able to offer some support for the 1001PX, 1011PX and RO15PX - the
others I have varying success with (not the core part of my job). In
general - Flash sucks (not dependent on version - the latest complaint I've
had is that the webcam won't work with Flash). The wireless has gotten a
lot better of late. I've never tested sound with an external microphone but
the inbuilt microphone now works (I had massive difficulties with Ubuntu
10.04). Cheese doesn't work with the webcam in that it bites the big one
when trying to record video (I ended up compiling wxcam). I've never had a
problem with the wired NIC.

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/