[NZLUG] Mint freezes

David McNab david at conscious.co.nz
Wed Jun 5 11:10:10 NZST 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> * Fix the kernel.
> * Wait for someone else to fix the kernel.
> * Don't use beta-quality distro versions.
> * Don't buy bleeding edge hardware without Linux support and for which
> a stable Linux driver is not yet available.

Another solution - try other Mint flavours, or the various flavours of
Ubuntu, or some 32-bit versions...

I was doing some fresh distro-shopping recently, and found that the only
distro which worked 100% with all my Asus EeePC netbook hardware was
standard Ubuntu 13 with Unity, while the only distro which fully worked on
my desktop was Linux Mint 15 Mate (not Cinnamon).

If I chose a different distro with either of these two systems, I would be
looking at potentially weeks of squinting through manpages, googling
through web forums, begging for help on IRC, hacking source code, reading
chip data sheets,...

Just because one is a developer it doesn't mean that one shouldn't be able
to sit back at times and drive like any other user, without having to take
the engine to pieces.