[NZLUG] Mint freezes

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jun 5 11:01:23 NZST 2013

On Wed 05 Jun 2013 10:35:43 NZST +1200, Don Johnston wrote:

> From what I have seen on the Ubuntu site, I get the impression that
> this is a kernel bug.
>
> In the past, I have had problems with Mint freezing with most of the
> hardware used being that which I am using at present.  If I remember
> correctly, I only managed to fix the problem by changing from 32 to
> 64 bit Mint or vice versa. Is there any way that I can deal with the
> freezing problem other than changing to 32 bit Mint?

Without knowing exactly which is the cause in your particular situation,
the possible solutions would be:

* Fix the kernel.

* Wait for someone else to fix the kernel.

* Don't use beta-quality distro versions.

* Don't buy bleeding edge hardware without Linux support and for which
a stable Linux driver is not yet available.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.