[NZLUG] Mint freezes

Don Johnston admin at ncearevision.co.nz
Wed Jun 5 10:35:43 NZST 2013

On 04/06/13 17:31, David McNab wrote:
> boot in safe mode and watch the messages?
>
> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Don Johnston <admin at ncearevision.co.nz
> <mailto:admin at ncearevision.co.nz>> wrote:
>
>     I installed 64 bit Linux Mint 15 on my desktop computer and it is
>     reluctant to boot. On most occasions, I get a screen full of text
>     momentarily and then a screen which just has the Mint logo in the
>     middle. I get no response to Ctrl-Alt-F2 or SysRq.
>
>     Don Johnston

I booted in recovery mode and entered

dmesg | tail

The last message was

[     12.049047]  BUG:  Bad rss-counter state mm:ffff8801b0ada680 idx:2
val:-3

 From what I have seen on the Ubuntu site, I get the impression that
this is a kernel bug.

In the past, I have had problems with Mint freezing with most of the
hardware used being that which I am using at present.  If I remember
correctly, I only managed to fix the problem by changing from 32 to 64
bit Mint or vice versa. Is there any way that I can deal with the
freezing problem other than changing to 32 bit Mint?

Don Johnston