[NZLUG] Managing multiple-machine application configs with DVCS

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 18:29:00 NZST 2013

On 4 June 2013 17:21, Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz> wrote:

> I hate to say this, as I've only maintained a setup designed and
> implemented by someone with what looked like severe mental deficiencies,
> but would capistrano/webistrano do the job?
>
> I think it possibly will.
>
> Steve

My personal approach:-

a package with the configuration with a script that runs post installation.
In which case, you only then need make the association and have somewhere
that association can be kept (MAC address? Serial Number?) i.e. within the
package itself as a csv file or something or online as a query to a webpage
(though this second example seems silly).

This means that I'm pushing out the same thing to EVERY machine and only
have to change things in one place.

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/